For Immediate Release
Date: September 19, 2017
“Modern Master Class Series” launches at Joy of Motion Dance Center
Guest artists represent Martha Graham Dance Company, the former Merce Cunningham Dance Company, Mark Morris Dance Group, among others
Washington, DC: Joy of Motion Dance Center’s Dance Institute announces the 2017-18 “Modern Master Class Series.” Running from September 2017 to March 2018, this series will unite world-class guest artists and modern dancers with DC-area students of myriad ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
The Master Class Series kicked off this past weekend with a Nikolais/Louis Technique class, led by Elizabeth Higgins, a former dancer with Murray Louis/Alwin Nikolais Dance and a current Assistant Professor of Dance/Outreach at Howard Community College (Columbia, MD).
The 2017-18 schedule includes:
- Saturday, October 7: Tiffany Rea-Fisher, artistic director of Elisa Monte Dance Company (New York, NY), will draw upon Pilates, Yoga, Modern, and Contemporary technique.
- November 4: Miki Orihara, past principal dancer with Martha Graham Dance Company, will teach a Graham Technique class, culminating in movement from the company’s repertory.
- Sunday, January 7: Mat Elder, NY and DC-based director of MElder Movement Art, will integrate intensive floor work, off-balance movement phrases, and emotionality derived from music.
- Saturday, February 24: Silas Riener, a DC native and dancer with the Merce Cunningham Dance Company from 2007 until its closure in 2011, will lead a Cunningham technique and repertory class.
- Sunday, March 25: Billy Smith, dancer with Mark Morris Dance Group and graduate from George Mason University, will conclude the Master Class series.
The Modern Class Series is open to all who want to learn more and are dedicated, disciplined dancers who are looking to refine their technique and stretch their creative muscles. Discounted pricing is available to students and seniors. All master classes will be held at Joy of Motion | Friendship Heights, 5207 Wisconsin Avenue NW, with the exception of the Mark Morris class, which will be held at Joy of Motion | Bethesda, 7315 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 180E.
“In keeping with our mission statement, Joy of Motion is bringing world class artists and teachers to our studios to share their talents with the Joy of Motion and Washington DC dance community. We are thrilled and honored to have the opportunity to bring artists of this caliber to the DC area,” says Helen Hayes (program director, Dance Institute at Joy of Motion).
Learn more online: https://www.joyofmotion.org/dance-institute/master-classes/
ABOUT JOY OF MOTION
A non-profit charitable organization founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center has since developed into the “the area’s most comprehensive dance institution” (Washington Post), engaging 60 faculty members and teaching artists, providing more than 300 weekly classes, and drawing nearly 9,000 unique students and artists annually to three studio locations (in two Wards of DC and in Bethesda, MD). With more than 40 years of history in the District, Joy of Motion has become the hub of a vast artistic community, committed to excellence both in high-level training and community-based arts experiences.
Our Mission: to unite dance professionals, students, and audiences by providing exceptional education and performances that stimulate a universal love of dance. Learn more: www.joyofmotion.org.