Join the team that serves our thriving, creative dance community!
With more than 40 years of history in DC, Joy of Motion provides high-quality dance education and performances for students and audiences at all ages and stages of development. We are committed to building strong, healthy communities of people that share a universal love of dance and stand by the principle that Dance is for Everyone.
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit service organization and an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. All listed positions are open until filled.
Founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center is one of Washington’s leading dance education institutions, with four pillar programs: Dance Institute (DI), Community Dance School (CDS), Neighborhood Steps (NS), and Performance Season (PS). Joy of Motion Dance Center seeks an experienced and enthusiastic individual to be an active member of our dynamic management team at one of our three studio locations in the DC area.
- Create an excellent student experience for all who interact with Joy of Motion, by providing superior customer service.
- Contribute efforts to maximize sales of all programs and services according to goals as communicated by Studio Manager.
- Daily administration and operation of assigned studio location.
- Ensure all shifts are fully covered so that location is open for business each day.
- Uphold all organizational policies and procedures.
- Hire, train, manage and motivate workstudy for assigned location.
- Supervise up to two Studio Assistants.
- Conduct all routine clerical and reception duties including answering the telephones, email communication, checking and returning calls received via studio voicemail, signing in students, ensuring all mail leaves the studio promptly, making daily bank deposits, and setting up payment plans.
Communicate and coordinate with studio faculty members on items such as substitutes, messages from parents, and prospective students.
- Secure substitutes, carrying out class cancellations and notifying students in a timely manner.
- Ensure sales and organizational data in Mindbody and on cash reports are correctly and efficiently recorded.
Facilitate and support studio rentals and rehearsals as scheduled.
- Oversee the general appearance and maintenance of studio spaces, ensuring the facility is cleaned, organized and stocked with necessary supplies and ready for business every day.
- Oversee all supply needs for the center including cleaning, office and other operational supplies.
- Ensure proper working condition of all studio and office equipment, and manage all minor repairs and upgrades to building and equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least three years of customer service experience, with superior customer service skills demonstrated.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Skilled at problem-solving and takes initiative.
- Managerial experience preferred.
- Background in dance preferred.
- Prior experience working with Mindbody and Microsoft Office Software preferred.
The individual will report directly to Studio Manager.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package.
Target Start Date:
Please send resume, cover letter, and three refernces to:
Community Dance School Director
1638 R St NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20009
dquirion @ joyofmotion . org
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit service organization. Equal opportunity employer.
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a Washington-based nonprofit organization with a mission to unite dance professionals, students, and audiences by providing exceptional dance education and performances that stimulate a universal love of dance. The Director of Operations is responsible for financial management, studio and office operations, and human resources.
Serving as a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Operations oversees the day-to-day running of the business functions of the organization, which has 75 employees, three studio locations and a central office near Dupont Circle.
Oversee the financial affairs of the organization, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Supervise a contract bookkeeper, who posts weekly AP, AR and bi-weekly payroll transactions;
- Manage organizational cash flow;
- Manage vendor relationships;
- Manage annual budget process, generate and monitor sales goals;
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and evaluation of all studio staff.
- Oversee the recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and evaluation of all studio staff.
- Directly supervise at least three Studio Managers.
- Manage all leases with landlords, ensuring timely response to physical and operational needs in all facilities.
- Oversee the facilities needs relative to renovation, supplies, and equipment.
- In coordination with the External Relations Director, create and implement customer service solutions and improvements at all locations and through the website.
- Maintain, enforce, and update personnel policies to ensure a healthy work environment for all administrative staff and faculty.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and four other department directors to set the course for the organization.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Minimum five years of professional experience with at least three years working in general accounting, with business management experience.
- Prior experience in an educational and/or artistic nonprofit is desired.
- Proven success in collaborative work with a team of highly skilled professionals.
- Advanced proficiency in QuickBooks is required.
- Prior experience working with MindBody, PatronManager and Microsoft Office software is preferred.
- Ability to synthesize complex organizational and personnel demands, attaining the knowledge and capabilities to cover any position under supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Positive manner and disposition and personal style that reflects the values of Joy of Motion.
- Commitment to the power of the arts and transformative nature of dance.
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Employment Status: Full Time Exempt
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package.
- Target Start Date: July 15, 2017
Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Steve Barberio, Executive Director
Joy of Motion Dance Center
1638 R Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20009
SBarberio @ JoyofMotion . org
Joy of Motion Dance Center is an equal opportunity employer and persons of color are encouraged to apply. This position requires some physical exertion and extensive travel throughout the D.C. metropolitan area.
Joy of Motion Dance Center seeks an experienced Hip Hop instructor and choreographer to direct a performance company of advanced high-school-aged student dancers.
During one 60-minute Company Training technique class per week, and one 120-minute rehearsal per week, the Company Director will work with company members to improve their technique, range, performance quality, and choreography skills. Over the course of the season (September-June), the director will set three to five dance works on company members, to be performed at fully-produced concerts in December and May and at less formal venues throughout the year.
Successful candidates will have experience working with young people, deep knowledge of hip hop dance forms, and a rigorous and nurturing pedagogical style.
The company rehearses at Joy of Motion’s Friendship Heights location. Pay is hourly and commensurate with experience.
There is also an opportunity for the Company Director to be considered for teaching other classes at Joy of Motion in a variety of dance styles to children and/or adults.
Benefits: Free dance classes, reduced-rate rehearsal space
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit service organization. Equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Position is open until filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references to production Attn: Sarah Chapin, Director of Production.
Start Date: September 1, 2017
Founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center is a DC-based nonprofit organization with a mission to “unite dance professionals, students, and audiences by providing exceptional education and performances that stimulate a universal love of dance.” The Development Writer & Associate is a member of the External Relations team, focused on grant writing, reporting, and donor services.
- Draft grant applications and reports primarily for institutional funders, including the NEA and the DC Commission, as well as requests to individual and corporate funders
- Handle recurring donor services and operations tasks, including thank-you letters and calls, online and print listings, and database updates
- Complete fundraising tasks on behalf of the Director of External Relations and Executive Director, including prospect research, meeting preparation, and outreach
- Support the External Relations Department as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent experience
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Interest in the nonprofit arts and education sectors
- Familiarity with databases and/or CRM software (preferred)
- Start date: September 1, 2017
- Reports: Director of External Relations
- Location: our Dupont Circle office (Metro-accessible)
- Employment Status: full-time exempt
- Compensation: salary commensurate with experience; health, dental, and transportation benefits; retirement account with matching; free dance classes
Please email a cover letter, resume, and recent writing sample (expository or analytical) with the subject line “Development Hiring” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joy of Motion Dance Center is an equal opportunity employer and persons of color are encouraged to apply. All qualified persons are accorded an equal opportunity for selection. If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance submitting an application, please call 202-907-5113.
Devenio in Motion is a partnership between Devenio, Inc. and Joy of Motion Dance Center that provides training for dancers age 14 to adult with cognitive and developmental disabilities. We are seeking instructors for our 2017-18 Season to set choreographic works for repertoire. Classes for the 2017-18 Season will be held at Friendship Heights Thursdays 6:30-7:30 pm, and Bethesda Sundays 6:00-7:00 pm. A minimum of three performances will be scheduled for the group, including JoyFest on June 10th, 2018.
Joy of Motion Will Provide:
Free instructor info sessions and training.
Instructors will learn to:
Build a class that empowers dancers with disabilities
Build a community that reaches beyond the studio
Employ best practices for working with dancers with Down syndrome, autism and other differences
Paid workshops for instructors to practice instruction with support to students with disabilities.
*To qualify for an instructor/choreographer position for 2017-18, candidates must attend a minimum of one info session and one workshop.
Monday, July 10: 7:00pm – 8:30pm, at the Dupont Office, 1638 R St NW, Suite 300 Washington
Monday, July 17: 7:00pm – 8:30pm at the Dupont Office, 1638 R St NW, Suite 300 Washington
Monday, July 24: 7:00pm – 8:30pm at the Dupont Office, 1638 R St NW, Suite 300 Washington
Monday, July 31: 7:00pm – 8:30pm at the Dupont Office, 1638 R St NW, Suite 300 Washington
Saturday, July 15, 3:30-4:30pm, FH
Saturday, July 22, 3:30-4:30pm, FH
Saturday, July 29, 3:30-4:30pm, FH
Saturday, Aug 5, 3:30-4:30pm, FH
All interested candidates should contact Dani Quirion at dquirion @ joyofmotion . org as soon as possible to sign up for info sessions.
Volunteer & Internship Opportunities
Joy of Motion Dance Center’s three studio locations host a plethora of full-day camps over the course of our ten week summer and can have up to 45 children at a location at a time. Camp Counselors are vital to a successful summer for studio staff, faculty, and students. Joy of Motion is seeking counselor volunteers to serve as camp counselors and aftercare counselors. Applicants must be at least 16 years old.
Camp Counselors must be prepared to lead warmups for dancers, attend all classes for camp age group, learn all choreography taught to assigned group, provide assistance to all dancers in assigned group, and supervise lunch. Camp Counselors are expected to complete select cleaning duties such as sweeping before camp, cleaning up after lunch, and after camp vacuuming. Some camp counselors may be required to be present at camp showings and rehearsals.
Aftercare Counselors will sign in students that attend aftercare each day, supervise youth in a studio room as campers await pickup from their parents, and assist in clean up after all campers have left for the day.
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm (subject to change based on camp you are assigned)
Start date is first day of assigned camp and last day is day of show (if camp includes show).
Joy of Motion Dance Center is currently seeking Workstudy applicants for all three studio locations. Volunteers must commit to one a 5-hour shift per week for a total of 20 hours per month, for 6 months. Successful candidates must be responsible and willing to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. We’re looking for friendly, engaging, dance enthusiast who wish to gain experience in arts administration. Basic MAC skills required, as well as the purchase a $12 Joy of Motion T-shirt. Perks: free adult dance classes at all studio locations. Click here to view and submit our Workstudy application.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to email@example.com. Use “Studio Workstudy (specify studio location)” in the subject line.
Are you a marketing student who’s looking for real world experiences? Join our marketing team this fall and help to inspire the DMV to dance! We’re looking for highly capable and inspired undergrad or graduate students to support us Sept – Dec 2016. Some experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Mindbody, Salesforce, Hootsuite, Google Analytics and MAC programs is required. Must have own transportation and be able to work 20 hours per week (flexible schedule, Fridays required). To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to Maggie Walker: mwalker @ joyofmotion .org. Use “Marketing Intern” in the subject line.
Are you a student looking for real world experiences? Work with our Director of Operations and learn arts management from the inside out. Students must need college credit, be proficient in Microsoft Office, and dedicate 15 hours each week. Benefits include unlimited dance classes in a casual work environment that nurtures young professionals. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Finance Intern” in the subject line.
Are you a theatre/arts student looking for real world experiences? Work with our Production Director and learn theatre arts management from the inside out. Students should need college credit. Basic Mac skills required, and an ability to work well unsupervised. Dedicate 15 hours each week and receive unlimited dance classes at a casual work environment that nurtures young professionals. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to email@example.com. Use “Production Intern” in the subject line.
We are currently seeking Workstudy applications for the Jack Guidone Theater. While previous technical theater experience is preferable, it is not necessary, as training will be provided. We are looking for Sound Board Operators, Box Office Assistants, Ushers, and Run Crew. Workstudy volunteers will receive unlimited dance classes at all studio locations. Successful candidates must commit to 2 shows per month and should be available most Saturday and Sunday evenings. Perks include involvement in creative dance production, free shows, and free dance classes, all while learning vital theater production skills. Ideal candidates must be able to work unsupervised, solve problems, and excel in a collaborative team environment.
To apply, submit a cover letter and a resume to: Sarah Chapin, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you a current JOMDC student who loves dancing when the music turns on? We are looking for people who love to dance in public as part of our Street Team. Join us this summer and during fall festivals and events as ambassadors of dance in D.C.! Hand out free class cards, dance class schedules, and share the joy of motion with the city! Donate 10 hours of time and receive a 10-Class Drop-in Discount Package. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to email@example.com. Use “Street Team” in the subject line.
Help us make our studios sparkle by joining our team of committed dancers who wish to contribute their time in exchange for free classes.
Marley Crew members:
- Deep clean our studio spaces during weekly shift(s)
- Work the same one or two 2-hour shifts per week
- Receive one free class per shift
- Can work with flexible hours to schedule their weekly shift(s)
- Must be at least 18 years old
- One two-hour training session required
- To apply please send your resume and weekly availability to a studio manager at one of our three studio locations.
Atlas on H St .NE Studio Manager, Arrian Maize: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bethesda Studio Manager, Andrea D’Annunzio: email@example.com
Friendship Heights Studio Manager, Alex Schools: firstname.lastname@example.org