Join the team that serves our thriving, creative dance community!
With more than 40 years of history in DC, Joy of Motion provides high-quality dance education and performances for students and audiences at all ages and stages of development. We are committed to building strong, healthy communities of people that share a universal love of dance and stand by the principle that Dance is for Everyone. We have open opportunities to join staff, faculty, team of interns and workstudy volunteers below.
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit service organization and an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. All listed positions are open until filled.
American Dance Conservatory Program Director
Founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center (JOMDC) is one of Washington D.C.’s leading dance education institutions with four pillar programs: Dance Institute (DI), Community Dance School (CDS), Neighborhood Steps (NS) and Performance Program (PP). The American Dance Conservatory (ADC), JOMDC’s rigorous youth training program focused on jazz and tap dance, seeks an experienced and dynamic education professional to direct the program. The American Dance Conservatory is a part of the Dance Institute pillar program.
The American Dance Conservatory Program Director oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of the program including planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling program classes, activities and curriculum.
- Program and staff all American Dance Conservatory classes.
- In collaboration with Dance Institute Director, develop, fine tune and implement curriculum for ADC jazz and tap technique classes.
- Develop repertory and commission choreographers for ADC Co.
- Oversee project blocks and rehearse pieces to ensure quality of work.
- Plan and maintain an annual budget to ensure prudent fiscal management.
- Place costume orders with Dance Institute Director in a timely fashion and maintain all costume order records.
- Send out weekly communication to ADC community including students, parents, teachers, guest artists and studio managers.
- Hold orientation for all ADC students and parents at the beginning of each school year.
- Hold annual events that embrace a sense of community (Kick-Off Party, Holiday Party, etc.)
- Organize and conduct formal evaluations with ADC core faculty and each ADC student in level 2 and above.
- Hold faculty meetings at least twice a year.
- Seek out performance opportunities that support JOMDC’s mission statement.
- Produce an informal performance showcasing all ADC students in class demonstrations and repertory that gives stakeholders a clear view of the process of training.
- Produce a full length, formal concert showcasing all levels of the ADC program at the Greenberg Theater (or other comparable venue).
- Work closely with Director of Production and ensure that all ADC faculty meet deadlines as assigned.
- With the Dance Institute Director, recruit appropriate students from Community Dance School classes into the ADC program.
- Ensure that the Joy of Motion mission and brand is fully integrated in communication efforts associated with the ADC program.
- Ensure that ADC classes operate within the policies and procedures of the JOMDC organization.
- Supervise ADC core faculty by providing direction, input and feedback.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as proven dance educator.
- Bachelor degree in Dance or Childhood Education required.
- Comprehensive understanding of curriculum-based dance conservatory style program, which serves a wide range of students and learning styles.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the Metro DC Dance community.
- Strong knowledge of colleges/universities with jazz and tap dance and musical theater programs.
- Working knowledge of the National Dance Education Standards.
- Reports to: Director of Dance Institute
- Compensation: TBD
- Target Start Date: August 1, 2018
Joy of Motion Dance Center is an equal opportunity employer
Jazz Factor Company Director
Joy of Motion Dance Center in Washington DC seeks an experienced jazz dance instructor and choreographer to direct a performance company of advanced middle-school-aged student dancers.
During one 90-minute Company Training technique class per week, and one 120-minute rehearsal per week, the Company Director will work with company members to improve their technique, range, performance quality, and choreography skills. Over the course of the season (September-June), the director will set three to five dance works on company members, to be performed at fully-produced concerts in December and May and at less formal venues throughout the year.
Successful candidates will have experience working with young people, deep knowledge of contemporary and Broadway jazz dance forms, and a rigorous and nurturing pedagogical style.
The company rehearses at Joy of Motion’s Bethesda location.
There is also an opportunity for the Company Director to be considered for teaching other classes at Joy of Motion in a variety of dance styles to children and/or adults.
To apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to Sarah Chapin at email@example.com.
Applications received before July 5th will be considered first.
The Studio Assistant is an active member of our dynamic management team. Studio Assistants are public-facing roles in which you will be responsible for creating an excellent student experience for all who interact with Joy of Motion by providing superior customer service.
- Serve as manager on duty when studio manager is not present.
- Serve as exceptional customer service representative at the studio front desk.
- Assist manager with general maintenance and cleaning of all studios and office.
- Assist in marketing and promotion of all classes and programs.
- Perform general office duties.
- Assist in maintenance of studio database.
- Assist in studio and student correspondence, including phone, fax, mail, and email.
- Assist in processing all class registrations.
- Assist manager in all accounting and record keeping.
- Assist in management and training of workstudy staff.
- Participate with Joy of Motion Dance Center team in the organizing, planning, and executing of all studio special events, including, but not limited to, the Youth Spring Festival,
- Open Houses, and Fundraisers.
- Other duties as assigned
- The ideal candidate will embody a team mentality with strong customer service and interpersonal skills in a fun, stimulating environment.
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Shows initiative and creativity in solving problems
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google documents.
- Must have evening and weekend availability.
- College degree or equivalent is preferred.
- Some dance experience and knowledge of different genres of dance is required.
- Familiarity with Joy of Motion Dance Center preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Individual must be able to clean and maintain studio spaces.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Studio assistants work at the front desks in our dance studio locations.
BENEFITS: Free dance classes
SALARY: $12.50 per hour/16 hours per week
SCHEDULE & HOURS: TBD
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit service organization. Equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Position is open until filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Alex Schools, Friendship Heights and Bethesda Manager.
Substitute Ballet Instructor for youth and adult classes. Must be available on evenings, weekends, and on short notice.
To the student:
- Deliver age and level-appropriate content to students, (including movement, music terminology, choreography, technique, and historical influences).
- Act as a mentor and a role model.
- Provide a safe classroom environment (physical, emotional, and psychological).
- Show a fair and equitable distribution of time and attention to all students.
- Demonstrate a student-centered approach that offers challenges to maximize individual progress.
- Demonstrate appropriate methods of effective classroom management.
To colleagues and community:
- Behave in a professional, ethical, and congenial manner at all times.
- Demonstrate Joy of Motion core values and be a productive team member.
- Represent Joy of Motion Dance Center as a leader in dance education.
- Demonstrate professional conduct as a positive reflection on the dance education field.
- Degree in Dance OR a minimum of 5 years ballet teaching experience at a reputable dance education institute/organization.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and customer service.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and self-motivation.
- Team mentality of mutual respect, support, open communication, diplomacy, and professionalism.
Reports to: Director of Community Education
Employment Status: Part-Time, Temporary
Compensation: Hourly rate commensurate with experience, with free dance classes at all JOMDC locations.
Application Requirements: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Lighting Designer oversees and contributes to the successful completion of the lighting elements for Joy of Motion programming.
Working closely with the Production Manager and Theater Manager, the Lighting Designer is responsible for executing all lighting for productions. This includes facilitating requests from Production Manager and choreographers, setting up the space (cabling, gelling, maintaining and setting up/striking lights, lighting board and any other equipment needed for the execution of a production) and management duties etc. as necessary. In collaboration with the Theater Manager, the LD executes calling of the show. The LD is responsible for operating the light board during the production(s). The LD upholds and implements Joy of Motion’s mentoring philosophy, mission value, and goals statements.
- Individual must be punctual and manage time well.
- College student/graduate or equivalent
- Must be at least 19yrs of age
- Knowledge of theater operation and lighting equipment
- Some dance knowledge
- Strong organizational and people skills
- Individual must have the ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs
- Part-Time Weekend Hours, required primarily Saturday and Sunday evenings. Hours are typically Saturday and Sunday 4:30-10:30 pm. Hours are also based on the production schedule. Some months there will be shows every weekend, other months there might only be 1-2 shows. You must be available for both Saturday and Sunday of a weekend to accept the show
- Lighting Designers start at $125/evening
- Individual will also receive free dance classes at all Joy of Motion locations
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Lighting Designer Resume”.