Join the team that serves our dance community!
With nearly 45 years of history in DC, Joy of Motion provides high-quality dance education and performances for students and audiences at all ages and stages of development. We are committed to building strong, healthy communities of people that share a universal love of dance and stand by the principle that Dance is for Everyone.
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
* Please visit our Workstudy page to learn about volunteering in exchange for adult drop-in classes.
Internship & Volunteer Opportunities
Looking for internships in DC? Joy of Motion Dance Center has internship opportunities in Washington, DC that give young professionals the opportunity to work with an established non-profit arts organization.
Why Intern with Joy of Motion?
Joy of Motion’s Internship Program is an excellent way to grow as an artist and educator while gaining experience in the production and operating systems of a well-respected dance institution in Washington, DC. All internships are unpaid and require a commitment of 10 to 20 hours per week. Internship to start 2022.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for the following internship terms. Specific start and end dates are subject to change and are dependent on departmental needs.
- Summer: May through August, recruitment done from February – March/April **NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS**
- Fall: September through December/January, recruitment done from July – August
- Winter: January through April, recruitment done from November – December
- Year-Long: offered on a case-by-case basis dependent on the needs of the department **NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS**
- Current college students or recent graduates from a relevant Bachelors or Associates Degree program;
- Knowledge using Microsoft office suite, Gsuite, and Gmail. Canva and Adobe Photoshop useful.
- 1 year of experience in the internship’s focus area, or relevant work experience in a professional and/or office setting. Prior arts administration experience very helpful,
- Access to a laptop and reliable transportation;
- An ability to work productively from remote workspaces.
Note: Preferred qualifications may vary depending on the internship. Please check each job description carefully for the most accurate and/or additional information.
Additionally, ideal internship candidates will be:
- Enthusiastic, forward-thinking individuals with an eagerness to learn and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Passionate about creating and offering inclusive, accessible dance opportunities to the DMV area;
- Creative problem-solvers with a positive attitude and a willingness to be flexible.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for an internship. Please use the name of the internship you are interested in as the subject line of your email (i.e. “Program Internship”).
**We are now accepting applications**
If you are interested in interning with us, please submit your materials for consideration.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Join the Joy of Motion Team!
We are seeking enthusiastic and dedicated Volunteers in the DC area to work remotely and in-person at the D.C. studio when needed in the following areas beginning in May:
- Administrative support
- Social Media and Marketing
- Customer Service
- Studio Management
Volunteers will work 5 to 10 hours per week. Volunteers will complete a one to two-hour training session, must be at least 18 years old, and fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
To apply please send your resume and weekly availability to email@example.com.
Joy of Motion provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.