Our mission: to unite dance professionals, students, and audiences by providing exceptional dance education and performances that stimulate a universal love of dance
Our vision: a thriving, creative community that celebrates its diversity through dance
A non-profit charitable organization founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center has since developed into the “the area’s most comprehensive dance institution” (Washington Post), engaging 60 faculty members and teaching artists, providing more than 300 weekly classes, and drawing nearly 9,000 unique students and artists annually to three studio locations (in two Wards of DC and in Bethesda, MD). With more than 40 years of history in the District, Joy of Motion has become the hub of a vast artistic community, committed to excellence both in high-level training and community-based arts experiences.
* 2016-17 Annual Report available here.
Our Core Values
- Personal Growth: We challenge those we serve to realize their fullest potential.
- Community: We foster authentic interpersonal connections and a strong sense of belonging.
- Inclusion: We are committed to the principle that Dance is for Everyone™ and create space for all to participate.
- Excellence: We pursue the highest standards of quality at all levels of dance education and performance.
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education (2009)
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts (2002)
- Top 3 – “Best Dance Companies” – Washington City Paper’s Best of DC Edition (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- “One of the Best” Nonprofits – Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington (2009, 2013 2017)
- “Top Vote Getter” in Bethesda Magazine’s Best of Bethesda Readers’ Poll (2018)
- DC Dance Award for Outstanding Youth Performance (2006, 2010, 2013)