Founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center cultivates a diverse community of students, educators, artists, and audiences in the DC metropolitan area by providing creative experiences that open doors for all ages and abilities. Joy of Motion is committed to building a community that lives up to their founding principle, dance is for everyone, by creating an equitable and anti-racist organization where dance is a powerful vehicle for lifelong learning, well-being, transformation, and progress.
Every week, Joy of Motion offers over 70 hours of classes virtually to youth and adults in the DC-metropolitan area and around the world.
Joy of Motion is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that receives support from the DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities.
For more information about Joy of Motion Dance Center, please visit joyofmotion.org.
Joy of Motion cultivates a diverse community of students, educators, artists, and audiences in the DC metropolitan area by providing creative experiences that open doors for all ages and abilities.
Dance is a powerful vehicle for lifelong learning, well-being, transformation, and progress.
Our Founding Principle:
Dance is for Everyone
Our Core Values:
Fostering relationships between people who are passionate about dance by providing opportunities and spaces for connection, collaboration, and creativity.
Inviting and valuing everyone’s participation and engagement through a lens of justice.
Challenging ourselves and those we serve to reach their fullest potential and believing that everyone has the capacity to achieve artistic and personal excellence.
Meeting people where they are, respecting their contributions, and viewing differences as opportunities for artistic innovation.
Awards & Acknowledgements
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education (2009)
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts (2002)
- Top 3 – “Best Dance Companies” – Washington City Paper’s Best of DC Edition (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- “One of the Best” Nonprofits – Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington (2009, 2013 2017)
- Bethesda Magazine Readers’ Pick, A Top Vote Getter, Best Kids Dance Studio (2018, 2019)
- DC Dance Award for Outstanding Youth Performance (2006, 2010, 2013)