Our Mission: Joy of Motion cultivates a diverse community of dance students, educators, artists, and audiences in the DC metropolitan area by providing exceptional dance education and performances that open doors for learners of all ages and abilities.
Our Vision: Dance is a celebrated component of lifelong learning, well-being, and a thriving society.
Our Founding Principle: Dance is for Everyone
Our Core Values: Excellence | Personal Growth | Community | Inclusion
Our Program Areas:
- Community Dance School: Drop-in and series classes in a multitude of dance styles for students of all ages and stages of development.
- Motion Exchange: Partnerships with schools and community organizations that broaden access to dance and facilitate youth development through the performing arts.
- Dance Institute: Rigorous conservatory-style training programs and master classes for youth and adult students.
- Center Stage: Concerts and programs that build appreciation for dance and provide opportunities for students of all ages to grow through live performance.
- Joy Online: Online learning opportunities and community to stay connected and dancing around the world.
Explore our most recent annual report (2017-18) right here.
Joy of Motion Dance Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, founded in Washington, DC in 1976.
Awards & Acknowledgements
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education (2009)
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts (2002)
- Top 3 – “Best Dance Companies” – Washington City Paper’s Best of DC Edition (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- “One of the Best” Nonprofits – Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington (2009, 2013 2017)
- Bethesda Magazine Readers’ Pick, A Top Vote Getter, Best Kids Dance Studio (2018, 2019)
- DC Dance Award for Outstanding Youth Performance (2006, 2010, 2013)