Joy of Motion cultivates a diverse community of students, educators, artists, and audiences in the DC metropolitan area by providing creative experiences that open doors for all ages and abilities.
Dance is a powerful vehicle for lifelong learning, well-being, transformation, and progress.
Our Founding Principle:
Dance is for Everyone
Our Core Values:
Fostering relationships between people who are passionate about dance by providing opportunities and spaces for connection, collaboration, and creativity.
Inviting and valuing everyone’s participation and engagement through a lens of justice.
Challenging ourselves and those we serve to reach their fullest potential and believing that everyone has the capacity to achieve artistic and personal excellence.
Meeting people where they are, respecting their contributions, and viewing differences as opportunities for artistic innovation.
Awards & Acknowledgements
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education (2009)
- Mayor’s Arts Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts (2002)
- Top 3 – “Best Dance Companies” – Washington City Paper’s Best of DC Edition (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- “One of the Best” Nonprofits – Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington (2009, 2013 2017)
- Bethesda Magazine Readers’ Pick, A Top Vote Getter, Best Kids Dance Studio (2018, 2019)
- DC Dance Award for Outstanding Youth Performance (2006, 2010, 2013)