Dancers of all ages and abilities, interests and backgrounds: you are welcome here.
Joy of Motion’s studios are currently closed for in-person business, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more about what we’re doing here.
Visit our Online Learning Library to see what we’re doing while we can’t be together in person!
Check out our advice for Joy of Motion newcomers.
What Level Should I Take?
Level recommendations are generalizations and even lower-level class can be challenging if you’re returning to dance after some time away — your body and muscle-memory need time to acclimate! We recommend erring on the side of a lower level to enable you to ease into class and adapt to the teacher’s specific style.
That said, do not worry if you don’t pick the right level the first time around. Our instructors are accustomed to working with a broad range of dancers, even within a single level. We suggest speaking to your instructor to get feedback or talking with a studio staff member afterward. We are happy to work with you to find the right fit. Below is more information on each level:
Adult Series Classes : $240 (60-minute class) or $300 (90-minute class) for 8 weeks in Spring 2020
- Basics 1: if you have never before taken a class in the specific style, we suggest signing up for an Series Class at the Basics Level. These classes run for multiple weeks and provide cumulative training — and they’re a great way to start dancing!
- Basics 2: if you completed a Basics 1 class, this is your next stop! You also can take Basics 2 if you have no experience in the specific style, but have solid experience in dance overall.
Adult Drop-In Classes: $10-25 a class (depending on length!)
- All Levels: these are fun, physically-challenging classes that do NOT require prior training or the ability to pick up choreography. If you are looking to ease into the drop-in class experience, these are a great choice.
- Beginner: most students will have completed a Basics class or two in the style OR have prior dance training. If you are returning to dance after some time away, this is a great option for you. (Most students will not be first-time dancers.)
- Advanced Beginner: this is our most popular drop-in level and appeals to a broad range of students. Most students will have 1+ year of recent training.
- Intermediate & Advanced: these are rigorous classes, ideal for students with 3+ and 4+ years of recent training respectively. Advanced students are often pre-professional or professional dancers.