Washington, D.C. – Joy of Motion Dance Center, a dance instruction center which will celebrate its 45th anniversary this fall, announced today that it has begun a search for a Managing Director. The position will lead the organization and help support its growth and development into this next decade. Last week, Joy of Motion’s interim Executive Director Krystal Odom announced she is stepping down.
The application period is now open. Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter including contact information for three references, and 1-2 project plans or writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 10, 2021. All applications and expressed interest in this position will remain confidential. For additional information, see listing below.
Carol Foster, Chair of the FY 2021 Board of Directors for Joy of Motion Dance Center, made the following statement:
“I am excited to start the search for our Managing Director as we look for candidates who have a knowledge of the DMV arts scene, can provide leadership throughout our transition and have experience working in a changing organization. Most importantly, we are looking for an individual who is passionate about dance and the day-to-day operations of a vibrant dance center.”
Full description is below.
Desired Start Date: September 7, 2021 The position will remain open until filled.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary ($60,000)
This is a full-time salaried position. Compensation will be competitive with similar positions in the Washington, D.C. area. The benefits include a taxable health insurance stipend, paid vacation time, and a retirement plan.
How to Apply:
Please review the Managing Director Job Description. The application period is now open. Please submit a resume, cover letter including contact information for three references, and 1-2 project plans or writing samples to email@example.com by August 10, 2021. Please send PDFs only.
Unlock Creative: Coaching & Management Solutions LLC is coordinating this search with the Joy of Motion Dance Center Board of Directors. If you have any questions, please email Tramaine Chelan’gat at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and expressed interest in this position will remain confidential.
Joy of Motion provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Joy of Motion is Seeking a Managing Director
Joy of Motion Dance Center (JOMDC) seeks to hire a Managing Director immediately to support the growth and development of the organization into this next decade. Joy of Motion is a 5 year 501(c)3 dance organization with a 45 year history and legacy across the DC metropolitan area and beyond.
JOMDC seeks an individual with strong arts management experience, including significant knowledge of financial operations, programming, fundraising, grant writing and reporting, contracts, as well as office and personnel management. Financial responsibilities include budget preparation, tracking, and cash flow forecasting. Position will oversee a small staff that works directly with communications, development, studio management and administration. This individual will also prepare reports and act as liaison between the Board, staff, and faculty.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in arts administration/management with a minimum 3-5 years of experience in a similar position, excellent communication, team building skills, an ability to think strategically, and strong organizational skills. Must be familiar with accounting systems and software, and proficient with Microsoft Excel, and database systems. He/she will report to the JOMDC Board of Directors.
JOMDC has experienced a decade of transition that has been expounded by the Covid-19 pandemic. There are currently two staff members, an active newly elected Board of Directors and a small team of consultants reflecting and refining the internal culture and processes of Joy of Motion to ensure that it is ready for it’s next chapter.
JOMDC has one active studio and office space, headquartered in the Atlas Theater complex that is in the heart of the northeast quadrant of Washington, DC.
We are in the rebuilding/recovery phase and seeking DMV-based candidates. Knowledge of the DMV arts scene, leadership through transition, and organizational change experience are key for the success of this position. Most importantly, we are looking for an individual who is passionate about the day-to-day operations of a vibrant dance center.
Joy of Motion Dance Center’s mission is to cultivate a diverse community of students, educators, artists, and audiences in the DC metropolitan area by providing creative experiences and spaces that are open to all ages and abilities.
Joy of Motion Dance Center’s vision is to become a significant springboard for artistry, well-being, and creative transformation for all involved.
Our Founding Principle:
“Dance is for Everyone”
Joy of Motion Dance Center is committed to creating an equitable organization where dance is the powerful vehicle for cross-cultural learning, ongoing education, and progress.
Specific Priorities (Goals)
During the probationary period of the candidate, there are priority areas that will require the Managing Director’s specific attention:
- Priority areas for JOMDC are: Finances, Operational Systems, Programming, Marketing/PR (Communications)
- Closely monitor the budget, especially tracking and problem-solving revenue generation and expenditures.
- Ensure JOMDC sustains external relations, especially clientele, funders (sustaining longer-term fundraising efforts), dance community, and community overall.
- Foster staff morale through the transition and build staff readiness and excitement.
- Facilitate relationship building between staff and board.
- Work with staff to ensure that programmatic work is in alignment with JOMDC’s mission, vision, and principle.
- Develop a preliminary dashboard to monitor JOMDC’s sustainability in terms of programs, revenue generation and finances, impact, and customer service.
- Shared executive leadership
- Implement the visioning and strategy of The Joy of Motion Dance Center.
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Support the Board of Directors in providing leadership in developing organizational strategy, as well as program, organizational, and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Promote active and broad participation of community volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
Financial Management & Oversight
- Support the Board of Directors to develop and maintain sound financial practices.
- Analyze complex financial data and extract/define relevant information as well as interpret data for the purpose of determining past financial performance and/or to project a financial profitability
- Work with the staff, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Prepare and administer program budgets with support of staff and the Board of Directors.
- Support creation, modify, and manage all organizational budgets to support the organizational vision and strategic plan with the support of staff and the Board of Directors.
Administrative and Systems Management
- Contribute strategically to the profitable and mission-oriented growth and development of the Joy of Motion
- Work with colleagues in developing and maintaining the organizational structure and technical or consultancy teams capable of meeting Joy of Motion short and long-term objectives
- Concentrate on strengthening the administrative infrastructure of the organization, including member services, financial management, office management, and logistics planning
- Monitor & maintain compliance with federal, state and other legal or regulatory bodies as necessary
Supervise staff with the oversight of the Human Resources as follows:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff, faculty, and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality and values aligned people.
- Ensure the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and important factors influencing it.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Jointly with the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Nonprofit management and leadership in at least three of the following areas: programs, strategy, human resources, finances, and systems/infrastructure, organizational management
- Initiative in making decisions with an understanding of how those decisions impact the big picture
- Encouragement and motivation for staff in reaching for excellence and high performance ● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Interest in strategic fiscal management, oversight, and budgeting skills
- Relationship maintenance and creation with external stakeholders and funders
- Understanding of the operational and back-office systems and infrastructure of a nonprofit (HR, Finance, IT, etc.)
- Experience working with boards of directors
While we understand that not one person may have all the listed skills, we are looking for those with experience and who are eager to learn and continue to grow professionally.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, fundraising and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, funders and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and funder/donor relations unique to nonprofits
- Skills to collaborate with, as well as motivate, board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
Preference to Candidates who have
- Strong ties to the arts community and the DMV community at large
- Welcoming to diverse and inclusive of all persons
- Passionate about nurturing a creative environment