The world of online dance classes can feel overwhelming but here are some tips to help you make the most of your online class experience!
1. FIND YOUR CLASS
The style or genre of dance, the music used in the classes, the instructor, and class level are all reasons you might choose one class over another. Learn more about how to choose the perfect class!
2. SET UP YOUR DANCE SPACE
Find a space in your home that is at least 5’x5′ with as consistent of a flooring surface as possible.
PROTIP: Take your at-home dance space to the next level by making or purchasing a small dance floor. If you’re into DIY, try your hand at building a dance floor at home, inexpensively. Professional setups can vary greatly in price. Do your research and find one that fits the style of dance you’re taking and also your budget!
Get a full-length mirror so you can check your form. On a budget? Places like Target have them for less than $10.00.
Taking a ballet class? Use a tall chair, the back of a couch, or a counter as your barre.
3. DRESS FOR SUCCESS
Dress the way that you would if you were coming into class in the studio. Check your confirmation for any recommended attire, or reach out to us via chat, phone (202.813.9505), or email email@example.com if you have questions about what you should wear for class.
4. SET UP YOUR TECHNOLOGY & MAKE THE MOST OF IT!
Test your internet connection to ensure that your internet speed can support Zoom.
Check your framing on your webcam or phone camera! Find an angle that’s higher up or further away so that your whole body can be in the frame and make sure the lights are turned on in a way that allows your instructor to see you. We recommend something a little higher up than you would do for regular Zoom meetings or classes. PROTIP: use a laptop tripod or a phone tripod and make sure it’s positioned far away enough from you to show your whole body.
Test your sound. Figure out if you need wireless headphones or an extra speaker to be able to hear your instructor.
Start logging into class early, make sure you’re logged into your desired Zoom account, and allow yourself time to troubleshoot any issues connecting to Zoom.
5. POWER UP YOUR DEVICES
Fully charge your device or plug it into power! The last thing you want to do is lose power during class.
6. GET YOUR BODY READY
Make sure you’re keeping your muscles healthy and preventing any injuries by starting some light warmups and stretches a few minutes before class (suggestions here).
7. BE COURTEOUS IN THE CLASSROOM BY FOLLOWING THESE DO’S & DON’TS
There are always some spoken and unspoken rules when you’re walking into a dance class, here are some things to keep in mind while we’re at home.
- DO make sure you won’t be interrupted. Ask your family, roommates, or housemates for privacy.
- DO keep your video on! It’s important for your teacher to be able to see you to give you corrections and guidance.
- DO try out different views on Zoom! Pin your instructor’s video or turn the gallery view on. See what works best for you.
- DO stay muted unless you’re talking! This helps keep the background noise in your house from distracting your fellow dancers and keeps echoes to a minimum. Your instructor may open up the floor for questions, unmute yourself to ask, and then re-mute yourself.
- DO make the most of nonverbal communication! If your instructor asks for a physical cue or a zoom reaction, let them know how you’re doing!
- DON’T use virtual backgrounds. They can cut in and out and make it difficult for instructors to give you accurate feedback and can be distracting to your fellow dancers.
- DO pack your patience and be kind and understanding. If/when any technological snafus happen or miscommunications occur, be compassionate to your classmates and instructors.
Still need some guidance?
Reach out to our staff, we can help!
CONNECT WITH US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Reach out to us on social media #idancewithjoy.