Employment / Volunteer Opportunities
About this organization
Joy of Motion Dance Center aims to provide the highest quality dance education and performance experiences that reinforce the principle that the art of Dance is for Everyone. Joy of Motion Dance Center teaches and encourages people of all ages to integrate dance into their lives for better individual and community health and well-being.
Who We Are
Hailed “the area’s most comprehensive dance institution” by The Washington Post, Joy of Motion Dance Center (JOMDC) is dedicated to providing unparalleled learning and performance opportunities that reinforce the principle that Dance is for Everyone. Since our founding in 1976, we have earned a reputation for excellence in dance education, diversity and innovation in programming, and community service. We have been honored with the Mayor’s Art Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts and the Mayor’s Art Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education.
What We Do
JOMDC, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable arts organization, is committed to building communities that dance. Thousands of children and adults participate each year in dance classes, workshops, festivals, and performances at our 3 studio locations in 2 Wards of the District and in Bethesda, Maryland. The broad spectrum of dance that we offer to all ages, abilities, and levels falls into 4 major programs: Community Dance School, Dance Institute, Neighborhood Steps, and Performance Season.
Graphic Design (70%)
- Develop and execute Joy of Motion Dance Center’s branding strategy through design.
- Conceptualize and create a variety of marketing and development pieces, including print advertising, brochures, newsletters, and website graphics.
Website Design and Maintenance (20%)
- Regularly maintain and update WordPress-based website.
- Create new webpages for new classes, programs and other new information.
- Manage and ensure Mindbody scheduling system functions properly on the website via HealCode.
Other duties as assigned (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 1-3 years’ experience as a full-time in-house designer or in an advertisement agency.
- A portfolio demonstrating successful print and digital work.
- Excellent visual design skills. Proven experience with print and web projects from conceptualization to production.
- Strong understanding of visual messaging principles. An ability to provide design concept options.
- A solid understanding of current technology and digital media.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop and InDesign.
- Proficiency in WordPress, HTML and CSS.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with quick turn-arounds.
- Excellent communication skills. An ability to support other departments’ design needs.
- Be a fast thinker and a problem solver with the ability of multi-task and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Knowledge of video post-production software, such as Final Cut Pro.
- Ability to serve as an in-house videographer and/or photographer for Joy of Motion concerts and events.
- Interest or experience in dance, theater or performing arts.
Reports to: Marketing and Communications Director
Employment Status: Full Time Exempt
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package with free dance classes at all JOMDC locations.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and design samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Graphic Designer Resume”.
Target Start Date: September 1, 2016
Lighting Designer/Technical Director
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Lighting Designer/Technical Director oversees and contributes to the successful completion of the technical and especially lighting elements for Joy of Motion programming.
Working closely with the Production Manager and House Manager, the Lighting Designer/Technical Director is responsible for executing all lighting for productions. This includes facilitating requests from Production Manager and choreographers, setting up the space (cabling, gelling, maintaining and setting up/striking lights, lighting board and any other equipment needed for the execution of a production) and management duties etc. as necessary. The LD/TD executes calling of the show and is responsible for operating the light board during productions, as well as maintaining equipment in good repair and keeping an eye on all technical aspects of Joy of Motion’s Jack Guidone Theater. The LD/TD upholds and implements Joy of Motion’s mentoring philosophy, mission value, and goals statements.
-Individual must be punctual and manage time well.
– College student/graduate or equivalent
– Must be at least 19yrs of age
– Knowledge of theater operation and lighting equipment
– Must have some facility with QLab, or willingness to learn quickly
– Some dance knowledge
– Strong organizational and people skills
– Individual must have the ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs
– Part-Time Weekend Hours, required primarily Saturday and Sunday evenings. Hours are typically Sat 4:30-10:30pm and Sunday 5-10pm. Hours are also based on the production schedule. Some months there will be shows every weekend, other months there might only be 1-2 shows.
– Pay commensurate with experience as an hourly employee
– Individual will also receive free dance classes at all JOMDC locations
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line of “LD/TD Resume”.
VOLUNTEER + INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Joy of Motion Dance Center is currently seeking Workstudy applicants for all three studio locations. Volunteers must commit to one a 5-hour shift per week for a total of 20 hours per month, for 6 months. Successful candidates must be responsible and willing to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. We’re looking for friendly, engaging, dance enthusiast who wish to gain experience in arts administration. Basic MAC skills required, as well as the purchase a $12 JOMDC T-shirt. Perks: free adult dance classes at all studio locations. Click here to view and submit our Workstudy application.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Studio Workstudy (specify studio location)” in the subject line.
Main Office Marketing Intern (Fall Semester SEPT-JAN)
Are you a marketing student who’s looking for real world experiences? Join our marketing team this fall and help to inspire the DMV to dance! We’re looking for highly capable and inspired undergrad or graduate students to support us Sept – Dec 2016. Some experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Mindbody, Salesforce, Hootsuite, Google Analytics and MAC programs is required. Must have own transportation and be able to work 20 hours per week (flexible schedule, Fridays required). To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to email@example.com. Use “Marketing Intern” in the subject line.
Finance Intern (Summer + Fall)
Are you a student looking for real world experiences? Work with our Business and Finance Director and learn arts management from the inside out. Students must need college credit, be proficient in Microsoft Office, and dedicate 15 hours each week. Benefits include unlimited dance classes in a casual work environment that nurtures young professionals. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Finance Intern” in the subject line.
Production Intern (Summer + Fall)
Are you a theatre/arts student looking for real world experiences? Work with our Production Director and learn theatre arts management from the inside out. Students must need college credit, basic MAC skills required, and an ability to work well unsupervised. Dedicate 15 hours each week and receive unlimited dance classes at a casual work environment that nurtures young professionals. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to email@example.com. Use “Production Intern” in the subject line.
Are you a current JOMDC student who loves dancing when the music turns on? We are looking for people who love to dance in public as part of our Street Team. Join us this summer and during fall festivals and events as ambassadors of dance in D.C.! Hand out free class cards, dance class schedules, and share the joy of motion with the city! Donate 10 hours of time and receive a 10-Class Drop-in Discount Package. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Street Team” in the subject line.