Employment / Volunteer Opportunities
About this organization
Joy of Motion Dance Center aims to provide the highest quality dance education and performance experiences that reinforce the principle that the art of Dance is for Everyone. Joy of Motion Dance Center teaches and encourages people of all ages to integrate dance into their lives for better individual and community health and well-being.
Who We Are
Hailed “the area’s most comprehensive dance institution” by The Washington Post, Joy of Motion Dance Center (JOMDC) is dedicated to providing unparalleled learning and performance opportunities that reinforce the principle that Dance is for Everyone. Since our founding in 1976, we have earned a reputation for excellence in dance education, diversity and innovation in programming, and community service. We have been honored with the Mayor’s Art Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts and the Mayor’s Art Award for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education.
What We Do
JOMDC, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable arts organization, is committed to building communities that dance. Thousands of children and adults participate each year in dance classes, workshops, festivals, and performances at our 3 studio locations in 2 Wards of the District and in Bethesda, Maryland. The broad spectrum of dance that we offer to all ages, abilities, and levels falls into 5 major categories: Adult Dance Education, Youth Dance Education, Resident Companies and Resident Arts Partners, Concerts & Events, and Project Motion Community Outreach. JOMDC is also home to the Jack Guidone Theater and the award-winning Youth Dance Ensemble Program. Every day, through our classes, companies, concerts, and outreach, we live our motto: Dance is for Everyone!
Community Dance School Director
Founded in 1976, Joy of Motion Dance Center is one of Washington’s leading dance education institutions, with four pillar programs: Dance Institute (DI), Community Dance School (CDS), Neighborhood Steps (NS), and Performance Season (PS). With three studio locations in the DC area, Joy of Motion Dance Center seeks an experienced and dynamic dance education professional to lead the Community Dance Program.
- In collaboration with other members of senior management, plan, implement and supervise programs in the JOMDC Community Dance School, scheduling classes and concerts and hiring teaching artists. Establish and maintain a performance review process that provides teaching faculty with continuous direction and feedback. In partnership with other program directors, develop JOMDC’s teaching faculty, building a culture to steward their best work, creating a shared commitment to provide excellence in dance instruction.
- Plan and maintain annual budget of the CDS.
- Supervise up to four dance coordinator positions.
- Clearly define, monitor and evaluate the CDS program, mapping curriculum goals and outcomes, reviewing progress and conduct final reporting.
- Develop communication systems with students, parents and other stakeholders to deepen their relationship JOMDC and provide accurate, ongoing information about each student’s progress.
- Minimum five years’ experience as a recognized leader in dance education.
- Masters degree in Dance Education preferred, minimum minimum Bachelors degree in Education or related degree.
- Comprehensive understanding of the sophisticated management needs of a broadly designed community dance school, which includes multiple styles serving a wide range of students.
- Established track record in recruiting, hiring, supervising and coaching teachers.
- Proven success in collaborative work with a team of highly skilled professionals.
- Prior experience working with MindBody, PatronManager and Microsoft Office, MAC and PC platforms.
- Complete understanding of financial issues in managing community based dance programs.
- Strong knowledge of the dance industry and dance education in the Untied States, with a working knowledge of the National Dance Education Standards.
- This position requires extensive travel throughout the DC metropolitan area.
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full Time Exempt
Target Start Date: August 1, 2016
Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Steve Barberio, Executive Director
Joy of Motion Dance Center
1638 R Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20009
Joy of Motion Dance Center is an equal opportunity employer.
VOLUNTEER / INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Joy of Motion Dance Center is currently seeking Workstudy applicants for all three studio locations. Volunteers must commit to one a 5-hour shift per week for a total of 20 hours per month, for 6 months. Successful candidates must be responsible and willing to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. We’re looking for friendly, engaging, dance enthusiast who wish to gain experience in arts administration. Basic MAC skills required, as well as the purchase a $12 JOMDC T-shirt. Perks: free adult dance classes at all studio locations. Click here to view and submit our Workstudy application.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and completed application to email@example.com
Main Office Marketing Intern (Fall Semester)
Are you a marketing student who’s looking for real world experiences? Join our marketing team this fall and help to inspire the DMV to dance! We’re looking for highly capable and inspired undergrad or graduate students to support us this fall. Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Mindbody, Salesforce, Hootsuite, Google Analytics and MAC programs is required. Must have own transportation and be able to work 20 hours per week (flexible schedule, Fridays required). Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to Rachel Pearl, Director of Communications and Media, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will close on Sept. 1.
Summer Street Team
Are you a current JOMDC student who loves dancing when the music turns on? We are looking for people who love to dance in public as part of of our newly formed Street Team. Join us this summer and during fall festivals and events as ambassadors of dance in D.C.! Hand out free class cards, dance class schedules, and share the joy of motion with the city! Donate 10 hours of time this summer and receive a 10-Class Drop-in Discount Package. To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Rachel Pearl, Director of Communication and Media, at email@example.com.